5/6/13

Flag Ship Bookstores

Local Bookstores have become a somewhat niche effort haven't they.  It has been strange to watch these past couple of years how large box bookstores have closed or have changed their bent.  Walking into Barnes and Nobles now is more of an adventure for my Nook as opposed to flipping through actual books. 

As someone who currently lives in Dallas it's been interesting to walk into the flagship Half Price Book Store and see what that's all about.  It's a large store, across the street from Barnes and Nobles, filled to the gills with used books (of every genre), records, dvds, vhs tapes, cds, and any other media you can think of. 

I don't even have to drag my husband anymore - because he meanders over to the music section happy as a clam.  No words need to transpire.

I'm glad stores like this still exist because well not everything is digital (especially the books I seem to go after) and it's not the same having the books delivered to my door by Amazon prime - although I feel like I have more of a relationship when it comes from one of Abe Books small bookshop vendors.

What are your thoughts? Do you miss bookstores like Half Price Books, etc?



No comments: